A leading global education hub, UK is known for its high-quality academic framework and innovative policy developments. It has over 22,000 courses to choose from across more than 1100 universities and colleges and majority of them have been listed among the top institutions of the world. Considered as one of the best places to live in, UK is among the top 10 happiest countries of the world (Forbes 2018). This is reflected in the experiences shared by our students who term the locals as open, friendly and warm. Undoubtedly, you will still feel at home when studying in UK and well, it will always stay on your mind as a second home, as a place you are connected.
WHY STUDY IN UK
UK is fast becoming one of the most preferred study abroad destination among International students. The country attracts hundreds and thousands of students every year mainly because of the outstanding education system, friendly nature of the people, laid-back nature, unique blend of cultures, relaxing atmosphere, and high standard of living available there. Foreign Education in UK for Indian students is generally considered as golden opportunity because students get the best courses according to their aim, interest and career objectives, out of hundreds of various specialisations provided by the world renowned UKn universities.
The nation’s high standard of teachings, advanced facilities, unmatched students exposure, and worthy lifestyle makes it an obvious choice for international students to study in UK. After completing the studies, students can easily get a job, due to the remarkable reputation of the UKn education system all over the world.
1. World-class education
For a very sparsely populated country with a relatively small number of universities, housing 8 out of the top 100 universities in the world is quite a feat. UKn universities regularly feature in global rankings like QS World University Rankings, Times Higher Education Rankings, and the Shanghai Jiao Tong Academic Ranking of World Universities. With such strong credentials, today, UK is the 3rd most popular study destination for international students in the world behind only the US and the UK.
2. Great diversity in course options
With over 22,000 high-quality courses and programmes on offer in as much as 1,100 institutions, study in UK is a great choice for you—whether you want to be taught by the best or undertake your own research.
3. Universally recognised degrees
Degrees from UKn universities are recognised by universities and employers all over the world. It is not surprising to know that there are now over 2.5 million international students all over the world who have studied in UK. Some of these students are among the world’s finest minds. Did you know that UK has produced 15 Nobel laureates?
4. Post-study work rights in UK
UK grants post-study work visa to international students after they have completed their master’s, bachelor’s or doctoral degrees. Successful applicants are granted a visa for the duration of 2 years to 4 years, depending on the highest educational qualification they have obtained. The subject area or the field of study has no effect on the eligibility. Neither the US nor does the UK offer this to international students.
5. Part Time Work Right
You can work part time while studying, which would help you offset some of your living costs. International students are allowed to work for up to 20 hours/ 40 Hours per fortnight a week during semesters and full-time during the university holidays. UK's minimum wage is AU$ 18 per hour. While studying in UK many international students find work in sectors such as hospitality and retail. These jobs often have flexible working hours to avoid a clash with classes.
6. Numerous Scholarships opportunities:
You can apply for Scholarships in UK based on courses and universities.
7. A safe, multicultural environment
UK is considered as one of the safest countries in the world with multicultural, friendly and pleasant society. Did you know that 5 out of 30 best student cities in the world are in UK? Melbourne has been named as the world's most liveable city and Sydney has been voted as the friendliest city in the world. This ranking is based on various parameters such as the mix of students based on nationalities, cultures, races and religion; affordability; quality of life, and employability.
8. Great place to visit along with your education in UK There are over 500 National Parks in UK to explore and 19 UNESCO World Heritage sites to tick off your list if you do set out on such an endeavour. You can go scuba-diving in the Great Barrier Reef or snorkel alongside gigantic whale sharks in Ningaloo Reef. There are countless other things to see and experience.
9. Easier Visa norms: An UKn study visa is relatively easier to get than visas for the US and the UK. On 1st July 2016, the UKn government has abridged the visa subclasses and introduced a simplified student visa framework (SSVF) to provide more efficient visa services to applicants. As per the new SSVF, all the study visas came under a single platform or a class (subclass 500). 10. Relatively lower cost of education We are not saying that studying in UK is very cheap. But, a simple analysis and the comparison of quality against the cost for all countries that are leading education powerhouses will easily reveal that UK is relatively one of the cheapest countries. The cost of living and tuition costs are significantly lower as compared to the US and the UK and the living standard is amongst the highest in the world.
Tertiary education in UK comprises of higher education (universities), and vocational education and training institutes [vocational education and training (VET) and technical and further education (TAFE) colleges]. Classes are generally conducted in large group lectures and small group tutorials.
The country has a unified system of qualifications, well-known as the UKn Qualification Framework (AQF), which is regulated by the UKn Government. It unifies and assures the quality offered at different levels of education in UK. UKn schools, universities, and institutes are linked across the nation and also linked globally. Thus, students can move easily from one level of study to the next after successfully completing the level, and from one institution to another, as long student visa requirements are satisfied by the student. Following are the UKn Qualifications Framework (AQF) levels of qualifications granted by UKn institutions for higher education:
VET Education or Diploma Course (Year 1- leading to Degree – Bachelors direct into 2nd Year)
• Associate Degree
• Advanced Diploma
• Bachelor’s degree
• Bachelor’s degree (honours)
• Master’s Degree (extended)
• Master’s Degree (coursework)
• Master’s Degree (research)
Vocational and Technical Schools
UK offers Vocational and Technical studies known as TAFE and VET through various institutes. These institutes offer short courses, certificate courses, diplomas, and advanced diplomas. These courses are meant to provide training for students in a particular vocation or help them to get out into the work place.
UK has in total 43 universities, out of them, 40 universities are public universities, 2 are international universities, and 1is private university. The country has some of the most prestigious and high-ranking universities of the world. As per the latest the QS World University Rankings, 35 UKn universities are ranked among the world’s top 500 universities’ list and 6 are ranked among the world’s top 100.
Top 10 Universities for foreign study in UK are:
• UKn National University (ANU)
• University of Melbourne
• University of Sydney
• The University of New South Wales
• University of Queensland (UQ)
• Monash University
• University of Western UK (UWA)
• University of Adelaide
• Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT)
• The University of Wollongong
Top courses to study in UK for Indian students
UKn universities offer a wide range of courses and programmes as per the field of interest of the students. Whether it’s an undergraduate or postgraduate programme a student wants to enrol in, there are numerous options on one’s platter. UK is particularly known for social sciences, management and natural sciences degrees.
Different degree courses to study overseas in UKn universities:
• Arts and design: Literature, History, Psychology, Foreign Language Studies, Communications, Philosophy, Public Relations
• Education: Education Studies, Special Education, Accountancy Teaching
• Engineering and technology: Chemical, Automotive, Civil, Telecommunications, Mechanical, Aeronautical, Mining, Environmental, Electrical, Electronics, Structural, Industrial, General Engineering, Computer, Mechatronics
• Hospitality and Tourism: Hotel Management, Commercial Cookery, Tourism Management
• Mathematics and Computing: Computer Science, Mathematics and Statistics, Computer Based Information System
• Health sciences: Nursing, Physiotherapy, Nutrition, Veterinary Science, Environmental Health, Public Health, Personal and Family Health Care, Pharmacy
• Science: Pharmacology, Environmental Science, Chemistry
• Visual and Performing Arts: Art, Fashion Design, Music, Crafts, Performing Arts, Graphic Arts
• Agriculture: Agriculture science, Forestry, Horticulture, Biotechnology
• Law and Business Administration: Economics, HR, Accounting, Commerce, Marketing, Management, Administration Applications for overseas education in UKn Universities are accepted all-round the year. Most universities accept new students in two intakes in each academic session, which usually in February and July or November, with slight variations according to a university’s academic calendar.
However, it is better to apply as early as possible because visa processes might take up takes 1 Day -12 weeks turnaround time. If you wish to begin your studies in UK for February intake, you should aim to have your application completed and submitted by mid-November/late-December, depending on the institute. If you are targeting the July intake, you should complete your application by May.
UKn academic intakes:
• Foundation courses: Duration is 1 year, and intake is in February (depends on the university).
• Vocational Education and Training courses: Duration is 6 Month-1year and intake are in Jan, May, June, Oct, TAFE Institutions
• Undergraduate courses: Duration is 3 years (4 years for honours degree) and intake is in Feb, July and November, (depends on the university).
• Postgraduate/Masters courses: Duration is 1-2 years and intake is in March (depends on the university) Feb, July and November.
• Doctoral degrees: Duration is 3-4 years and round the year intake as the supervisor or the project demands.